Once you've created your live company in Compleat, you can connect it to Sage 50 using one of our connectors. All you need to do is download the connector, install it on your computer, and configure a few settings.
The connector is a piece of software that gets installed on your local network. It manages and protects all the information that's passed between Sage 50 and Compleat. Any information shared is secure and encrypted.
Compleat posts to Sage 50:
- Invoice header & line data
- Invoice PDF link (this can be configured in Sage to appear in reports only)
- Purchase order number/transaction reference number
- New suppliers
Compleat retrieves from Sage 50:
- Supplier information (including bank details and payment terms)
- Currency codes
- Account codes
- Tax codes
- Cost Centers
- Charity funds
- Delivery sites
- Journal reference of the posted invoice
- Invoice payment status
Compleat makes use of the extra reference field in Sage, populating it with the transaction's Compleat INV (invoice) number. You can run reports on this field in Sage, allowing you to view the invoice PDF within Sage.
The Sage 50 connector you use needs to match your Sage Accounts version. Access your Sage Accounts version information by running the Sage 50 System Administration tool. The version number will look something like v26. Go to Which Sage Connector should I use? if you're still unsure.
Follow these steps to connect Compleat to Sage 50.
1. Create a Sage 50 user for Compleat
We recommend that you set up a user account in Sage 50 specifically for Compleat. This account must have Manager access.
It's a good idea to name the user account Compleat.
This is for a couple of reasons:
- You can't currently be logged into both Compleat and Sage 50 at the same time. If you are, Compleat won't be able to post, cache, or perform a unique supplier reference check.
- Transactions from Compleat will be clearly labelled in Sage 50.
Make sure that the password you give the new Sage 50 user doesn't contain any special characters like & or ! or +, etc. This can cause issues when you're trying to connect to Compleat.
2. Download & install the Sage 50 connector
- On the homepage, click Configuration.
- Click Manage company.
- Go to Connection.
- Next to Connect to a new finance system, click Connect.
- Click the Sage 50 tile.
- Choose the Sage version you're using from the drop-down, and click Download.
Make a note of your unique four-digit number shown on this screen - you'll need this in a later step.
- When the connector has downloaded, open it to launch the setup wizard.
- Click Install.
- Click Finish.
- The connector is installed!
3. Connect to Compleat
- Open the Sage Connector Configuration Utility now installed on your desktop.
- Enter the email address you use to log into Compleat, and your unique four-digit pin.
Then, click Connect to Compleat.
If you don't know your unique four-digit number, log into Compleat, and then go to Configuration > Company management > Connection.
- A message confirms that your details have been verified.
- Your Sage 50 data folder appears by default.
Click Find Companies.
- Tick the checkboxes for the companies you want to connect to Compleat
- Select which extra reference field you want to be displayed against Compleat transactions in Sage 50, or leave the field blank so that nothing is displayed.
- Click Next.
- To connect to Sage 50, the Sage SDO components now need to be installed on your computer.
The Sage SDO (Sage Data Objects) components let Compleat communicate with your Sage 50 Accounts database.
- Enter the user name and password for your Compleat user in Sage 50, and click Test Connection To Finance System.
- A message appears confirming that the connection test passed.
If you don't see this message, check you entered your username and password correctly, and then try again.
- The Connector Service Status should now be Running.
If the Connector Service Status is Stopped, restart it by clicking Start.
4. Select the Sage 50 connector in Compleat
- Now, you need to select the Sage 50 connector in Compleat.
In the Connection area of Compleat, click Configure next to Use existing connector.
- Select the Sage 50 connector from the drop-down list, and click the search button.
- Select the relevant company from the drop-down, and click Connect.
- Select which features you use in Sage 50, and click Save.
- You're now connected!
This page shows your connector information and configuration options.
If connecting to Sage fails despite running the connector configuration, this could be due to your firewall settings. Go to Why is my connection to Sage failing? for more information.
- You'll notice a pulsing heartbeat on your connection page.
This indicates a healthy connection to Sage, meaning Compleat is ready to post invoices and receive data from Sage. The date and time displayed is the last time Compleat identified a healthy connection.