Once you've created your live company in iCompleat, the next step is to connect it to your finance system using our connectors. All you need to do is download the connector, install it on your computer, and configure a few settings.
The connector is a piece of software that gets installed on your local network. It manages and protects all the information that's passed between Sage 50 and iCompleat. Any information shared is secure and encrypted.
The Sage 50 connector you use needs to match your Sage Accounts version. For example, if you're using Sage 50 2019, then you need to download the Sage 50 2019 connector.
Access your Sage Accounts version information by running the Sage 50 System Administration tool. The version number will look something like v26. Go to Which Sage Connector should I use? if you're still unsure.
Follow these steps to connect iCompleat to Sage 50.
1. Create a Sage 50 user for iCompleat
We recommend that you set up a user account in Sage 50 specifically for iCompleat, and give it the name iCompleat.
This is for a couple of reasons:
- You can't currently be logged into both iCompleat and Sage 50 at the same time. If you are, iCompleat won't be able to post, cache, or perform a unique supplier reference check.
- Transactions from iCompleat will be clearly labelled in Sage 50.
Make sure that the password you give the new Sage 50 user doesn't contain any special characters like & or ! or +, etc. This can cause issues when you're trying to connect to iCompleat.
2. Download & install the Sage 50 connector
- On the homepage, select Configuration.
- Select Company management.
- Go to Connection.
- Next to Connect to a new finance system, select Connect.
- Select Sage 50.
- Select the checkbox next to the Sage 50 version you're using, and then select Download.
Make a note of your unique four-digit number - you'll need this in a later step.
- When the connector has downloaded, open it from the bottom of your browser to launch the setup wizard.
- Select Next.
- We recommend that you use our default installation folder, but you can select Browse to choose a different one.
- Select Next to start the installation.
- The connector is installed.
3. Connect to iCompleat
- Enter the email address you use to log into iCompleat, and your unique four-digit pin.
Then, select Connect to iCompleat.
If you don't know your unique four-digit number, log into iCompleat, and then go to Configuration > Company management > Connection.
- A message confirms that your details have been verified.
- Your Sage 50 data folder appears by default.
Select Find Companies.
- Select the checkboxes for the companies you want to connect to iCompleat
- Select which extra reference field you want to be displayed against iCompleat transactions in Sage 50, or leave the field blank so that nothing is displayed.
- Select Next.
- To connect to Sage 50, the Sage SDO components now need to be installed on your computer.
The Sage SDO (Sage Data Objects) components let iCompleat communicate with your Sage 50 Accounts database.
- Enter the user name and password for your iCompleat user in Sage 50, and then select Test Connection To Finance System.
- A message appears confirming that the connection test passed.
If you don't see this message, check you entered your username and password correctly, and then try again.
- The Connector Service Status should now be Running.
If the Connector Service Status is Stopped, restart it by selecting Start.
4. Select the Sage 50 connector in iCompleat
- Now, you need to select the Sage 50 connector in iCompleat.
In the Connection area of iCompleat, select Configure next to Use existing connector.
- Select the Sage 50 connector from the drop-down list, and select Search.
- Select the relevant company from the drop-down, and select Connect.
- Select which features you use in Sage 50, and select Save.
- You're now connected!
This page shows your connector information and configuration options.
If connecting to Sage fails despite running the connector configuration, this could be due to your firewall settings. Go to Why is my connection to Sage failing? for more information.
- You'll notice a pulsing heartbeat on your connection page.
This indicates a healthy connection to Sage. The date and time displayed is the last time iCompleat identified a healthy connection.